Saturday, December 31, 2016

Marco On The Bass Is Back For 2017!

Greetings and Happy New Year! After a two year break, I'm happy to announce that I will be back to blogging about ska and reggae in 2017!

I want to thank everyone who has visited my blog during the last two years while I was away and supported what I do here, which is to share my love and passion for ska and reggae music. The reason that I haven't been as active as I would like to be is that I started two new musical projects in 2013 and 2015 -- Rude Boy George (a band that performs ska and reggae versions of 80's new wave songs) and Heavensbee (an original dub pop band)-- and helped launch a digital ska label called Trilby Records.

I was lucky enough to see The Specials and The Selecter in 2016 and enjoyed new albums from Ranking Roger's version of The Beat and The Selecter, proving the 2-Tone music lives on! I have a sense that 2017 could be a watershed year for ska and I want to be able to document all the great ska related music and stories that deserve a wider audience.  I plan to utilize more multi-media including more in-person video interviews and phone interviews as podcasts and may try to use Facebook Live from shows I attend or play to interview musicians and capture performances.

To that end, I wanted to start by sharing a few videos of a show that Rude Boy George played with The Skints at the Knitting Factory in Brooklyn, New York.  Opening for The Skints, who are a four-piece London-based band that mixes reggae with ska, dub, punk, rock, dancehall, soul, grime and hip-hop, was the culmination of a creatively satisfying year for me as a musician.  It gave me hope that ska and reggae is poised to break out in a big way in 2017! I hope you'll join me for the ride and continue to visit!







No comments: