Sunday, January 12, 2014

Bad Manners To Play Coachella 2014!


Someone at the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival must really like ska!  For the fourth year out of the last five, a 2-Tone era ska band will be part of the prestigious line-up.

In 2010 it was The Specials, who were touring the U.S. for the first time since the early 1980's.  In 2012,  Madness brought their nutty sounds to the desert festival, and last year it was The Selecter who wowed the crowd with a blazing mid-afternoon set.  This year Buster Bloodvessel and Bad Manners will make an appearance on Sunday April 13th and Sunday April 20th. The band last toured the U.S. in 2011 and it remains to be seen if they will add more North American tour dates around their appearances.

It also remains unclear which band members will accompany Buster to the U.S.  Over the last 20 years or so, he has toured with shifting group of back-up musicians and during the the band's 2011 U.S. tour, recruited mostly young U.S.-based ska musicians to back him.   Buster appears to have a band of young UK-based musicians backing him now and they performed at the Islington Academy in London this past December. Watch the band perform a slew of their hits including "Lorraine," "Special Brew," "Lip Up Fatty," and "This Is Ska/My Girl Lollipop."










Though unclear, it is possible the Coachella shows could serve as a reunion of the original band that formed at in 1976 at Woodbery Down Comprehensive in London. In December 2012, founding members of the band met for the first time in decades. The meeting was successful and this past summer seven of the original nine members met again. The 'Bad Manners Originals' who attended the reunion were; Andy Marson (alto sax), Paul Hyman (trumpet), Alan Sayag (harmonicas), Chris Kane (tenor sax), David Farren (bass), Martin Stewart (keyboards) and Brian Tuitt (drums).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw the Gosh It's tour back in 81. I was BM mad as an eleven year old so seeing them live was like living the dream. I remember them being a really tight band, well rehearsed and the gig was brilliant! Martin on keyboard, Brian on drums, amazing brass section etc. I would love to see them do that tour again. Where do I pay?

Unknown said...

I'm 50 now but saw Bad Manners at the Hollywood Palladium back in the early 80's. Yes, they were a tight amazing amusing band. My son (Markus - note ska in his name) now 17 whom I've taken to see Madness, The Specials, English Beat, and Hepcat, is an aspiring ska musician playing drums, trumpet and piano wants more than ever to see Bad Manners. Does anyone know if they are playing in Los Angeles prior to the Coachella concerts in April? I really need to take my son to see them and I really want to see them again.

Unknown said...

I'm 50 now but saw Bad Manners at the Hollywood Palladium back in the early 80's. Yes, they were a tight amazing amusing band. My son (Markus - note ska in his name) now 17 whom I've taken to see Madness, The Specials, English Beat, and Hepcat, is an aspiring ska musician playing drums, trumpet and piano wants more than ever to see Bad Manners. Does anyone know if they are playing in Los Angeles prior to the Coachella concerts in April? I really need to take my son to see them and I really want to see them again.