Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Fishbone Documentary: Everyday Sunshine


Last night I happened to watch this awesome documentary about The Ramones. As I watched I was thinking to myself, what other great American band mirrors The Ramones in so many ways? (childhood friends who start a band, blow up big, conquer the musical world, influence a generation of other bands, fight with one another, lose members, replace members, continue to carry on etc).

I don't even know what to say that hasn't already been said about Fishbone. Hands down one of the best live bands I have ever seen. I remember hearing their first record being played inside Tower Records in NYC around 1985 when it first came out. I was a ska freak even back then and when I heard "Party At Ground Zero" blowing through the store's speakers I ran over to the counter and asked the clerk what was on the turntable. When he told me "Why Fishbone of course!" I bought the LP on the spot. They've been a favorite band ever since.

Well imagine my surprise at learning a documentary about Fishbone is in the works. About time really. In my mind its long overdue. Here is the documentary description: From the shifting faultlines of Hollywood fantasies and the economic and racial tensions of Reagan's America, Fishbone rose and became one of the most original bands of the last 25 years. With a blistering combination of punk and funk they demolished the walls of genre and challenged the racial stereotypes and the political order of the music industry and of the nation. Party At Ground Zero is about music, history, fear, courage and funking on the one. Everyday Sunshine traces the band’s past and present, while providing a comprehensive view of the historical and cultural forces that gave rise to a legendary Black Punk Rock, Funk, Ska, Metal, Reggae, and R&B band from Los Angeles that continues to defy conventional categories and expectations.

I like the description of the documentary. I know I will go see it when it comes out next year. Despite the rock, funk and metal, I will always think of Fishbone as a ska band, I believ at their very core and despite their forays into metal, funk, rock, etc, ska is the lifeblood of the band.

Below are two clips from the documentary.

Sunless Saturday


Cheyenne Star Forever Moore

1 comment:

Steve from Moon said...

Should be an interesting film. I thought they kind of lost the thread after the balls-out brilliant "Truth and Soul." I caught them at the old Ritz supporting this record and it was one of the best live shows I have ever seen.